Universal Gaming League

almost 13 years ago

basically im looking for a high end laptop that can be used for gaming as well as the normal stuff uni work browsing ect.

dont have a budget just need an idea of best brands / specs to get with a laptop.

03  QCK
Drinks too much
almost 13 years ago

no one cares shad, take your PC to uni,

laptops de-grade themselfs after time (IE the more you use it the ****ter it gets)

dont bother :)

Gb  dronee
Website Operations Director
almost 13 years ago

It's all fine and dandy saying don't bother but I too am interesting in a laptop for the same reasons (okay not uni) as I can't fly with my tower.... =p

Gb  DazzyJ
UNGL Contributor
almost 13 years ago

Gb  dronee Lanbox :D

03  Shadd_^ Just for the love of god make sure it has dedicated gfx lol :P XPS' are okay, if not a bit pricey (as with overpriced alienware aswell)

Gb  dronee
almost 13 years ago

XPS' are fairly cheap compared to everything else, but to me the cooling looks crap.

Lanbox doesn't help me get a monitor there too, and my graphics card doesn't fit in anything other than a large tower. =p

Gb  DazzyJ
UNGL Contributor
almost 13 years ago

Just have to be prepared to pay 3x as much as you would with an equivalent tower system :(

almost 13 years ago

not after equivalent just need a strong laptop to play css at lan with and to use whilst at uni ect

Gb  h L k
Ex-Semi-Amateur
almost 13 years ago

i had an XPS like 4 years ago, I took it to a lan and it was head to head on benchmark with anything else in the room. XPS isnt the best you can get but it is one of the cheapest for what you get, since it's essentially an Alienware. As for the cooling, it felt a bit hot underneath when I ran it for a while but I didnt mind tbh since they all seem to do that and the performance didn't drop. I also took mine to Lan and it just made everything so much easier, no nonesense, more room to play, etc. I also used it for my Uni work, and generally they have a lot of space. I used 3D, audio, and graphical programs and the spec makes it a doddle... just dont slam your headset into the screen and smash it like I did at lan. And let me say one thing, my laptop is still running perfectly fine after all this time :)

Gb  dronee
almost 13 years ago

Am looking at the Dell XPS' and the Asus ROGs atm, just maybe give you an idea Shad.

almost 13 years ago

msi

np

Gb  Sparky
Really?
almost 13 years ago

I'm using this sexy mumma; http://www.sainsburys.co.uk/sol/shop/technology/computing_and_gaming/laptops_and_netbooks/121046734_medion_akoya_p6624_intel_core_i5460m_4gb640gb_156_laptop.html?Affiliate_ID=googlesp

Picked it up at Christmas when it was on sale for £500. There's always deals on sites such as www.hotukdeals.com with some pretty good specced laptops at low prices. The key is to be patient - Dell had a sale on a month or two ago selling lappies with 6-8gig Ram, i7's, high end G-Cards and LED screens @ 1080p all for £750.

Also most laptops, no matter how well built, end up with heating issues. A high end laptop will almost certainly need a laptop cooler.

almost 13 years ago

I used my laptop when my computer broke i litteraly used it like a tower i just shoved it below my desk had a monitor and everything :D

almost 13 years ago
Gb  DazzyJ
UNGL Contributor
almost 13 years ago

Gb  rooba My cousin had that :)

almost 13 years ago

;D

almost 13 years ago

I bought a laptop for the same reasons,paid about £800 last year

Dell xps

3.00 ghz

8 gig ram

1 TB harddrive

17.3 full hd screen

ati 5650

Its a beast for playing, try just searching for gaming laptops on ebay

almost 13 years ago

Gb  chE

thats what im more than likely going to get tbf about 650 on the net but might give em a ring see if i can haggle down to around 600< :D lol

almost 13 years ago

They wont "haggle" it down on the phone lol -.- you've got to go into the actuall shop to try and get it reduced and they wont reduce the price only if its from a local dealer, friend, some who knows sum1, and best bet people get laptops all the time ask people theres always sum1 selling

almost 13 years ago

03  HitmAn[A]

good luck finding a dell shop and they will btw :P ive brought off dell before saved 100£ by ringing em haha

almost 13 years ago

it doesnt have to be dell they r bad :/ pc are bad too it sounds stupid but argos they have some mint laptops in there also they are cheap

almost 13 years ago

03  HitmAn[A]

for what im after mate dell xps are the best i can get and laptop wise they arent bad just a bandwagon everyone jumps on for no reason

almost 13 years ago

Fair enough just seems mad too spend alot of money on a laptop when sum1 uses a PC fair enough for uni but then id still buy a cheaper one

almost 13 years ago

03  HitmAn[A]

want it for gaming as well though mate if im taking a laptop uni then i aint gunna take my pc so need it for gaming so yea makes sense spending that as it will last 4years with any luck

almost 13 years ago

lol fair enough UNI is for work not play =] and when you dont work you party is that right?

almost 13 years ago

03  HitmAn[A]

if u can afford to party every night go for it obviously dont realise 9K a year on tuition is a killer

almost 13 years ago

i wouldnt no mate enyhting about uni all the student loans etc

Gb  Sparky
Really?
almost 13 years ago

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/dell-vostro-3750-i7-2630qm-sandy-bridge-6gb-ddr3-750gb-1gb-nvidia-gt525m-17-3-16/930961

If you decide to order then phone up and do it, can get at least 5% off the price if you push hard enough.

In  nik
cufish!
almost 13 years ago

<3 gaming laptop