Universal Gaming League

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Just out of curiosity, i've recently installed an XFX ATI 5770 HD and a Corsair CX500 PSU.

I've had a few lousy temperatures and since my PC is initially a **** acer factory made one, it has no fans -.- just the cpu one, and the psu one... So yes i'm going to be purchasing this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/120mm-coolermaster-sickleflow-blue-led-quiet-case-fan#ProductSupport

& this:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/akasa-system-blower-uv-reactive-blue-%28exhausts-hot-air-from-system%29-fits-in-pci-slot

At the moment i'm keeping the side of my PC open, which isn't a big issue.

My Idling temp is: 59'C-61'C

Playing CSS: 62'C-67'C

Playing Homefront Maxed Out 1680x1050 dx11: 78'C-80'C

Now, I was wondering what temps everybody else gets? I reckon once I fit the 120mm fan in, and that little PCI thing it should hopefully keep the cooling slightly better... unfortunately my case doesnt allow me to place any other fans :/

So yeah, what temperatures do people normally get? Coz i've read on the internet that some people get idle temps of 30'C... whilst some get upto 60'C. Also, should I be worried that my temp is going into the 80's?

If anybody also has any ideas on how to get more fans/cooling into my pc/case feel free to write them down :P

Gb  Sparky
Really?
over 12 years ago

Eh my inspiron 1520 used to hit 96 degrees on the GPU and didn't die. Good ol 8600m GT <3

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  Sparky haha :D

The main thing thats driving me mad is that CCC/CPUID/Afterburner are giving me a about 7'C temp less than GPU-Z and idk who to believe Q_Q

Gb  Sparky
Really?
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE Either way I'd recommend paying out extra money to stop the thing from overheating and hurting its lifespan :) better safe than sorry! You need a desktop hero to wasda in to this thread and give you a hand I'm afraid; Sparky @ laptop gamer. 2cool :/

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Gb  Sparky Ohai!

My CPU idles around 50, load @ 65ish.

My GPU idles at 54, load can get upto 87 at the very max, but my card is designed to run hot. By load i mean running ARMA2 @ Max settings :P

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  Sparky Haha, yeah i'll definately be buying that 120mm fan and that PCI fan to be safe.

Gb  IV Yeah my CPU idles at around 40/50ish :D

Seems like your GPU idles slightly less than mine (but im sure you have fans etc of some sort :P). According to CCC/CPUID/Afterburner mine is idling at 54 atm :P But according to retarded GPU-Z its at 60 lol. No idea which one to believe xD!

As for running shizzle at max settings, 87 is higher than what i'm getting Q_Q So I take it 80 isnt too bad? xD

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

I use MSI Afterburner to record my GPU temps, it varies from card to card, my GPU (MSI NGTX480) is notorious for running hot, so 87 is fairly hot, but nothing to be worried about. However i cannot say the same for you, i have no idea. I'm planning on doing some extensive overclocking to my system + adding some new ram in, as a result i'll be changing my cooling arrangement (Getting a new High AirFlow Case).

01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

My GPU and CPU temps are as follows.

GPU idle 22c

GPU max 41c

CPU idle 29c

CPU max 46c

My temperatures are very low because of the following;

36cm fan on the side of my case.

25cm fan on the front of my case.

12cm fan on the back of my case

2x8cm fans on the top of my case[customised myself]

Akasa exhaust fan under my GPU[same as the one you are getting]

Good cable management.

Dust free.

Asus Silent Knight II CPU heatsink.

Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste[on GPU and CPU and RAM heatsinks].

Good cable management and regular cleaning make a massive difference, this means the airflow has less friction and can flow more freely round the case. The thermal paste can make a huge difference. I was using the default thermal paste and was idling around 34c on both CPU and GPU, but since I got AS5, it dropped incredibly.

No  BarryScott
Loves kicking people very hard.
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn We have similar temps, for the same reasons.

+1 hsf.

Gb  Sparky
Really?
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn If Carlsberg made contributions...

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago
01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV It's a relatively old PC, Radeon HD4850, AMD Athlon 6000+. But because I've tried my best to keep it in pristine condition, it still runs rather smoothly =]

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn Ahh, i'm assuming your upgrade (In the years to come) will be a new system?

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn When I add the 120mm and that PCI fan thing, how much do you think it'll drop the temps?

Since my case is a bad one, and ive recently gotten a corsair PSU, the massive black wires dont help :P

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

I've managed to keep the GPU temp to a maximum of 71'C now, by manually setting my fan speed to 95%. As opposed to when I let the ATI drivers do it as they please, at 81'C before they thought it was a good idea to let the fan speed casually chill on 56% lol. So yeh, 1680x1050, homefront maxed out dx11 and 71'C max, i'm relatively happy with =), keeping in mind however that the case is off - i dont mind having it off but obviously we'd all prefer to have it on xD! I'll be doing some tests when i get the fan and pci. Hopefully itll drop everything by another 10'C? D:

01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE , the temperatures will drop, and they should drop quite a bit. Possibly 5-15c depending on your cable management.

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn Bad news i'm afraid... turns out the fan slot on the back of my PC is not a 120mm its an 80mm :( But I guess an 80mm fan will be better than nothing, also keeping in mind the PCI fan i will put. I'm also debating whether to get another 80mm fan to tie to the case side for the sake of helping airflow - my dad is convinced it wont make a difference though. Even though some people have told me since the 80mm, and pci will be exhaling hot air out of my PC on the back, a small 40/80mm fan on the side inhaling outside air will be good... but idk. Any ideas?

As for cable management, i've done a bit of work on that today as a matter of fact.

BEFORE

[simg]http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7758/dsc00741wp.jpg[/simg]

AFTER:

[simg]http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/2284/dsc00745h.jpg[/simg]

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Your PSU looks as if it's about to crush your CPU fan and your GPU xd

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV It's because of this **** case, you know how u hold the PSU with screws yeh? well the bloody holes on this case don't correspond to the holes on the PSU... So the only thing really holding the PSU up there is the piece of metal on the left under the PSU lol... i swear PSU is like one of the heaviest hardware things... it rlly should be on the bottom tbh bloody crap case -.-

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE Some cases have options for both :<

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV This one doesn't tho :P

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Ok I just turned my bloody PSU the other way round lol, holes fit together now, and its firmly screwed into my case xD with the fan pointing downwards lol.

I got bloody all over my PSU for some odd reason and all over my hands, but its all good lol

No  BarryScott
over 12 years ago

Try and get as many of the cables going down the back of the case as possible, if there is an option for it (even on the older cases/builds there is space for [some] cables to fit).

Such as below.

[simg]http://img522.imageshack.us/img522/4599/dsc01146ef.jpg[/simg]

Note: This is not my rig, it is a teammates (I have horrid cable management, in comparison).

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE you owe me!

No  BarryScott amazing cable management.

No  BarryScott
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV IKR...I thought I had fairly decent cable management, then he posted this.

My PC is cooled like a mofo though to compensate. 240mm sidecase fan. 4x120mm casefans, Akasa Venom CPU Fan (about the size of half a brick, PCI fan for the GPU.

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

No  BarryScott :o.

I'm just upgrading to a HAF X and sticking a H50/70/100 in there so i can overclock my i7 :P

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

No  BarryScott lol believe me I would do this, but my case doesn't have a back to allow me to do that...

03  QCK
Drinks too much
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE you will always struggle to do anything like that with a manufactured rig :< they are bastards for it :)

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

03  QCK Yep, the PSU was a pain in the arse to pull out... it's as if they've created them in such a way that they're trying to make your life a misery if you even consider changing something :S

over 12 years ago

My lan fix for cooling problems: http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-Cooler-Cooling-Flexible-Fan-PC-Desktop-Lapto-/260812174061?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_205&hash=item3cb99df2ed x4 powered by a lovely phone charger + USB Hub. Boooooooom

-This was my only option :P

over 12 years ago

Soo messy Kyanite D:

My GPU idling temp is 50+ since I swapped cases :S - used to be around 30-40.

Under a lot of activity/stress it goes up to 60-65

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano lol, how much did this drop your GPU temp by? :P

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

De  JOHNNYLOL Yeah atm with my case side off, my GPU idles at around 58'C-62'C, and then depending on the game it rises to the high 60's, and maybe even 70's. It can get into the 80's if its a proper kick ass game :P

over 12 years ago

It was ages ago, I forget. But the pc was overheating and cutting out and after my master plan, It lasted 5 days of lan without one drop out :P Master Engineer Xano.

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano haha SICK!

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano One of my team mate played for a few weeks with his components sitting on his desk.

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV hahaha

over 12 years ago

I've been there... or angling a household fan into your case to stop the nuclear fusion going on within the 4 walls of your PC case, Oh I miss my old PC :( Always kept me on my feet.

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano Haha, my new GPU sounds like a Boeing 747, so loud :(.

Still, rather have that than the VRAM fry like it did on my old 4870.

over 12 years ago

I had the early 8800GTX x2... Boeing 747s were quieter than these bad boys. They sounded like a B52 having an epileptic episode...

01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano Amen to that.

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

01  Rings of Saturn GTX480 blow your clothes off fans.

over 12 years ago

I don't think anything can beat the early 8800's.. Seriously... They were like tumble driers.

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano Offensive weapons at lan!

01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

Mc  Xano , my HD4850 on 100% sounds like an MG42, it's pretty horrific.

01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE , HAHA! ARE YOU ****TING ME?!

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago
01  Rings of Saturn
Semi-inactive
over 12 years ago

The picture you posted, sorry if it's a late reply. Lol.

over 12 years ago

i only have 9600gt atm, building a new build (new build specs below)... but the 9600gt on 100% sounds like a ........ really fast fan LOL it isn't as loud as i thought it would be ^^

new pc specs:

Case: Nzxt Phantom

CPU: i5 2500K 3.30GHz @ 4.50GHz (heard i can get more with my heatsink)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H Intel Z68 (REV B3)

Ram: 8GB Mushkin Blackline 1600mhz

HD's: 1) SSD 120gb 2) my current 2x 1TB WD CB

GPU: Gigabyte GTX560 Ti SOC (Will buy another later on and sli)

Heatsink: NH-U12P SE2

Disc Drive: Samsung Bluray

PSU: Corshair HX 750wat

Got ram mobo cpu for free, hd's & bluray from old rig rest to buy or already bought :)

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Kr  Gabe Newell Wait till Summer 2012.

over 12 years ago

Gb  IV lol if anything good comes out i'll just buy it then lol

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Kr  Gabe Newell Tis what i'm doing, all the super good **** will be out by then.

over 12 years ago

Gb  IV If i don't get pc now i'll be spending all my money on clothes so best buy sooner than later lol

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago
Gb  DazzyJ
UNGL Contributor
over 12 years ago

Kr  Gabe Newell All £12.50 of it on the finest Tesco clothing?

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Okay, I got two 80mm Antec DBB TriCool fans.

One which went on the back of my case - exhaust. One which is zip tied to the side of my case - intakes.

Here is what I have gathered:

[simg]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4109/5770.png[/simg]

Overall - Mission Accomplished!

The average idle temperature for the XFX HD 5770 Single Slot is: 51'C

&

The average load temperature for the XFX HD 5770 Single Slot is: 74'C

(At stock fan settings)

Mine (at stock fan settings) are:

Idle: 58'C

Load: 70'C

I'm pretty sure these could be better with a more spacious case, but at least now I can sleep at night knowing that:

a) my case cover is closed xD

b) my GPU aint gonna fry!

over 12 years ago

Kr  Gabe Newell You mean 3.5GHz :D

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

Lb  KYANITE and your PSU wont crush everything

over 12 years ago

Sr  Suvonts nope 3.30 to 4.5ghz and with a noctua i've seen people get a stable 5.0ghz

Lb  KYANITE
The Hairy Arab
over 12 years ago

Gb  IV HAHAHA

that too :D