Universal Gaming League

Phantom
CS Admin
over 11 years ago

Posting this for
 Gabe Newell

I've created some replacement maps for all stock competitive maps in Counter Strike: Global Offensive.

I have started work on the following:

-de_dust2
-de_inferno
-de_nuke
-de_train
-de_aztec
-de_dust

Some of these maps have been worked on more than others and I will be releasing these into beta in pairs, then releasing them all at a later date

de_dust2_ce and de_inferno_ce are now in a stage where I need some input from you guys to make sure the competitive side of CS:GO has levels which everyone will enjoy playing on.

The main focal points when creating these maps have been:

- Deleting useless clutter which can result in lower FPS
- Removing negative implementations from the new maps
- Removing negative implementations from CSS which got ported over
- Implementing positive structures from CSS and 1.6 which have been lost in the new maps
- Implementing new positive structures which should aid competitive gameplay for CS:GO

Now with that said, I have had help during this so far, but would like some more. Please try out these maps in mixes/matches/gathers or just run around and give any input you think would help.

These are some screenshots of the current state of the level: http://imgur.com/a/HDfl4

The changes to each map are as followed:

de_dust2_ce_be:

- Removed such props which blocked players in important places (scaffolding inside tunnels and T spawn)
- Lightened up the map including CT spawn
- Removed "clutter" to save people FPS while not sacrificing too much detail.
- Replaced all boxes with standard smooth boxes which are spamable (the ammount they spam will change due to player request)
- B car has been removed with the blocks and replaced with a wall and double stacked boxes
- B gate has been removed and a new simple door has been placed for easier few
- B platform boxes have a single box at the front and a double stack at the back
- Dark areas have been removed to improve visibility
- Outside B now contains less clutter and the rocks have been brought back
- Same window as CSS and CSGO with an introduction of the ledge from CS1.6
- Outside B now has the double palm tree used for smokes, and removed the glitched boxes which caused players to get stuck
- Removed clutter and gates to improve visibility
- T spawn scaffolding has been removed to all players to jump over the wall earlier
- T spawn wall have been brightened for CTs to have a clearer shot up mid to T spawn
- Alley light has been removed and boxes have been replaced
- Outside long has been cleaned up from "camper spots" and a much more open environment to promote a more aggressive terrorist play
- Long doors (ct side) have been removed to allow more ares for T's to run through
- Roof has been added to the long building to stop late flashes
- Dumpster has been removed and the blocks and replaced with a box and a corner wall
- Long cars have been removed
- Long gate and barrels have been removed and replaced with a brighter wall to improve visibility
- Bombsite has new boxes featuring higher boxes
- A bombsite barrels have been removed and the gate on bombsite building has been removed
- Short now has a double stack box
- Extruding wall from the opposite side of the double stack on short has been moved out slightly for more cover
- Balcony on short has been removed
- Short wall has been raised slightly to promote more aggressive CT's
- Mid box replaced with a slightly taller box
- Palm tree introduced at mid to replace the this telephone pole
- Lower tunnel boxes have been removed and a double stack (non jump-able) have been introduced

- There are more smaller changes been added but these are the ones I remember from the top of my head.

de_inferno_ce_b1:

- Removed clutter which resulted in pointless detail and fps decrease
- Blocked of the apps -> boiler with a wall due to the annoying stairs vs stairs shot and introduced a door from bedroom into balcony room
- New pit with grass texture and building to the back to allow better sound knowing where the enemy is
- Removed truck and introduced boxes for less "clip shots"
- Removed quad porch and replaced with an extruding part of the building
- Introduced a double stack box for more cover on quad
- A and B have been swapped around (this was accidental and if players wish for it to be switch please comment)
- B Bombsite has new boxes
- B Bombsite arch has been blocked off by a wall to promote more cover on bombsite
- Arch has no changes except texture changes
- Castle/Grave yard has been blocked off due to the hard to see position and too many covering points for the CTs to check
- Dark alley has been blocked off to stop the over use of fast rotates
- CT to A truck has been removed and now has boxes on both sides to promote an easier chance for CT's to get closer to the action when retaking
- AWP SPOT from A to down banana has been simply blocked off by boxes to stop this tiny angle peak
- Fountain has been removed due to massive request and now replaced with a generic CSS/1.6 box layout
- Darkspot has been blocked off due to "too much cover"
- Generator in ruins has been removed
- Banana car has been removed and replaced with a tall and a small box
- Banana pillars have been removed and replaced with a full building to promote more space and easier to see gameplay, rather than many tiny areas to aim at
- Logs have been removed and boxes placed on the other side to promote a more aggressive attack from T's to gain the banana kill
- Mid car has been removed and replaced with boxes due to the hard to see position T's could achieve
- Removed bench and fence for more flow while moving around, less props to run into
- Removed the huge ugly generator on the side of the mid wall

- There are more smaller changes been added but these are the ones I remember from the top of my head.

The following are the current bugs which need fixing:

de_dust2_ce_b1:

- Lighting on certain prop_static models are either too bright or too dark
- Tree cliping down long isn't correct

de_inferno_ce_b1:

- Lighting on pillars are either too bright, or too dark

----------------------------

This is a question which I feel the CSS community would like to vote on as well as the rest of the CSGO/1.6 communities

I introduced (just recently removed due to problems) a box which would be positioned where generator was on A inferno (which we called boxxy)

Now most of us miss genny, but would you like for a box to be re-introduced in that position (won't be buggy like the old generator) or should we keep the open area?

Please comment on everything you would like to see in the game, if high demand I will introduce.

Screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/HDfl4
Download de_dust2_ce_b1: http://www.speedyshare.com/Hz8qV/de-dust2-ce-b1.bsp
Download de_inferno_ce_b1: http://www.speedyshare.com/UuqFd/de-inferno-ce-b1.bsp

Thank you.

over 11 years ago

cant really snipe properly down banana as a ct GAY!

Phantom
CS Admin
over 11 years ago

steven-
You can.

r0b1
CS Head Admin
over 11 years ago

Looks too 1.6, not that it's necessarily a bad thing that someone's made those maps, but each game should take advantage of the graphical advances. As much as 1.6 maps are perhaps the best versions of the maps in terms of gameplay, you could texture the ridiculous amount of wooden boxes differently, and take advantage of the newer look that comes with GO.

Obviously the following comments are based on the screenshots only, as I haven't had a chance to run around on the maps yet.

The layout on dust2 looks nice. I'm glad you've made the far wall in B similar to source, as in GO having that gate to duck into was horrendously OP. Disappointed to see the removal of car, would prefer to have some sort of secondary hiding place on the right from tunnels. A car was always a pain, maybe a couple of lower height boxes or something. Everything else looks sweet

On inferno I have a few gripes. Quads in CSS and CSGO were integral parts of inferno as a map, and simply removing that doesn't seem right. Removing the dark corners would be a good move, but blocking it off fully removes some spots from a CT, especially with the removal of graveyard. A screenie or two of apps would be much appreciated!

Could you also rename the bombsites on inferno back to the 1.6/GO way round? Will get so confusing if your version of inferno is different from the default inferno in the game :P (same for dust2 actually, B and A are the wrong way round :D)

over 11 years ago

I like how inferno looks, reminds of how it used to be in CS1.X and what was de_phoenix in CSS. Personally I prefer it to the GO version. Will be interesting to have a mix on it to see how it feels.

Same goes for D2, but I don't really mind any version of D2 to date, so less bothered about that :o

Good effort either way though :)

over 11 years ago

I like how inferno looks, reminds of how it used to be in CS1.X and what was de_phoenix in CSS. Personally I prefer it to the GO version. Will be interesting to have a mix on it to see how it feels.

Same goes for D2, but I don't really mind any version of D2 to date, so less bothered about that :o

Good effort either way though :)

r0b1
CS Head Admin
over 11 years ago

Remy
nice double post noob <3

over 11 years ago

Phantom
Great job and I hope you'll have the nerves required to complete such a massive project. Love the simplicity and especially the lighting of the maps.. but tbh I'm afraid they're too 1.6-ish (at least for my taste) and they're better suited to be played in a "Back to the Classics" "1.6 Maps" type of UNGL Event

Also, I feel some changes disrupt the general gameplay and flow of the game most of us are used to from CSS.
@D2
+ to all the lighting and detail edits
- car removal from B
+- to the spamable boxes .. can't tell without testing.
- those 2 stacked boxes back of site of B
+ the 1.6 ledge from B window
+ removal of boxes from outside long (near T spawn)
- the added roof from long (to stop the fbs)
- the 2 stacked boxes from short
+ the A site design

@INF :
except the lighting , removal of dark spots and the pit design .. I'm afraid I don't like the changes.. especially :
- A to B and B to A (the small site should be B in CSGO .. creates confusion considering the official CSGO maps have B as the small site )
- the removal of the cemetery from A (v important for holding the site for CTs and Ts as well )
- the removal of the porch from Arch heading to the B site ( http://i.imgur.com/14e3jh.jpg )
- the removal of pillars from left mid *CT (extremely T sided since players can attack that area from boiler and mid at the same time .. this change basically forces players to hold that area from a passive position )

I'll come back with more feedback if you release other maps or if I think of balanced changes for d2/inf ;
Keep up the great work!!

over 11 years ago

ntT . mIESOMNNN
he was posting for
 Gabe Newell
(hes got no forum rights)

Gabe Newell
they are looking good m8 i'll get em downloaded and have a try out, ill post my opinions afterwards.

But either way well played for taking the time and effort to try to improve these maps.

over 11 years ago

best thing to do is host a cup with the made maps and see what people say after, eZZZZ

over 11 years ago

that's GOOD

over 11 years ago

Absolutely stunning effort m8 , just played them both , the gameplay is much quicker , less choke points but still a lot of good holding points, love what you did to apps and to long :)

i completely agree with
 -nuked-
i would like to see these maps in a cup.

over 11 years ago

inferno looks nice

over 11 years ago

cup cup cup cup!

panz0r
I <3 mouz & FGW
over 11 years ago

TL DR. SEEN THE PICTURES

2MUCH1.6

over 11 years ago

Quote from my cadred reply:

What Dust2 still needs:

- the window on d2 B site. on CS:GO you can walk in and out of the window from both sides without jumping.
- As for B "car" replaced with a simple box is too doll. it deffo needs the car there as it was in CS:S with the box infront.
- A peak spot from mid rock to see short.

What inferno still needs:

- inferno mid bench has got be there a lot of teams used to have deco pushes with hiding behind it or what so ever I dont see the point in removing it.
- The lamp pole above vietnam(rathole) can be deleted since it has no purpose.
- The wall u used to block the "double appartments peak" is spammable make sure u put a solid brick wall between it.
- Give CS:S Quad roof back since the box u placed next to the closed house is pointless.
- The arch to B short/quick rotate has completeley been blocked i dont see the point keep it open.
- Ruins/construction side the "floor" is concrete and it should be sand since players listen to the sand footsteps to know if someone is in ruins or not.
- graveyard should be accesable

For the rest i think valve did a good job on the d2/inferno maps itself same as you but you or valve should just remove the unnecessary extra stuff on the official maps.

If you change these i think 1.6 and CS:S are mixed evenly on the map and i think alot more players might enjoy these maps then the CS:GO Valve ones

r0b1
CS Head Admin
over 11 years ago

*update*

http://imgur.com/a/4HmO5

[quote]- Make the boxes look nicer
- Brighten the map, remove the dull grey-blue
- Bring back porch at quad, but bring back the old pillars
- Bring back graveyard but rework it so it's not over powered
- lighten up apartments
- Bring back the old bells at T spawn for them musical rounds people love
- Improve sound in ruins