Universal Gaming League

over 12 years ago

This is a new article I have recently written about the State Of Affairs within the UK Counter Strike Source Scene, and what has happened with it. Generally it is an article that is talking absolute nonsense however there are some good points that I'd love to see people get discussing about and seeing where and how we can do things slightly better.

[quote]
This is the ultimate problem facing UK eSports as a whole, communities in general have actually disappeared. I know this may well be a criticism leveled at Rasta, but I can remember when Rasta could send 6 teams to each of the iSeries events, along with 10 - 20 spectators each event, the same for Twisted Play. Rasta have been expanding accross the world but have forgotten their true roots in the United Kingdom, and whilst yes they have a currently fantastic Rasta.Xd side, they also lack many other sides who can go to LAN and support each other. Twisted Play used to use the iSeries events as a way to get drunk, and have lots of fun as a community. We have lost a whole host of communities, and a community spirit to stick together and have a bundle of fun. People may point out that we all move on, or time gets the best of us, you may well be correct, but whole communities? Really?[/quote]

Source: [url=http://www.quickscope.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2859:state-of-affairs&catid=655:stories]Click Here for full read![/url]

Of course, flame, comment, share, read, have a giggle at it, etc etc.

over 12 years ago

i forsee a mass ungl party at lan. my tent. friday night. ill cook bbq. bring your own beer (and some for me)

over 12 years ago

on topic however. i am currently working on developing a community and believe there is still a future for them. look at ucap at the moment. they have many teams and if they intend to make an i series attendance then cpuld have another nice large uk community out on the scene.

i think just because rasta and tp are currently under the radar and have less than normal numbers of teams at the moment. doesnt mean they should be counted out of the scene

nSmed
UNGL Administrator
over 12 years ago

BIGNADES 4 LIFE

Chaddy
Community Administrator
over 12 years ago

BarryScott
Let's kiss each other. Community bonding, no homo.

over 12 years ago

Good read gumps pretty much everything in the article has applied to Erratic at some stage or other over our innings which is coming up on 5 years in August.

We always have and always will be an ED team because our team started in the height of activity back in the 07/08 when the ladder was booming and there was dozens of open challenges going at any time of the day or night and you didn't really care who accepted then because you almost always got a close game against a good friendly bunch of guys and even if they was better you could look at it as a learning game to try improve your game.

Back in the days where EDCSSL was full of sign ups and you had to fight your way to get into a divison i remember us applying and failing twice and playing in the reject cup that was run alongside the main season before we actually got into EDCSSL for the first time.

Now thats gone i find the biggest problem is the lack of the middle ground teams.. the ones that just want to play for the fun of it and dont care about the outcome. As stated above ED's past activity was prime for these kind of teams because there was so many different teams made up from several communities. Nowadays with ED dead we heard that UNGL was the place to be because its the only place you can activily seek games when you want them but there seems to be a lack of teams just up for the crack... recent examples of our games when your winning by a large margin sometimes as big as 20 - 1 still holding the angels still using the keen smoke and flash strats and such against people that have been taking it easy and just shooting for abit of fun its asif people are playing each round like they are getting paid for it and it takes away ALL of the fun of the game.

Fair play to the teams that want to try and improve and practice i wish them the best of luck im sure almost every person in this scene has tried going "keen" once upon a time i know we have many times but with the game in the latter stages of its life i think its time that teams let go of this ambition of been world beaters and got back to as you picked up in your article communities and a close knitt larger group of communities who all play and meet up purely for the fun and friendship side of it, thats all we at Erratic have been about for a year and half 2 years now having great times at the 5 lans we have been to and having a more family feel with our regular guys most of which have been around since the start in 07 but with less and less of the teams we know and like playing agains't playing matches and newer and more intresting games coming out we have lost players gradually over the years from 3 teams down to 1 larger roster that only has about 6 active people in it from the 25 active people we had a few years ago. We have been reduced to playing a single EDCSSL game on a tuesday over the last 2 seasons and thats still unlikely to change in the run up to the next season20.

My last point is also what you highlighted about banter and im sure anybody that knows us and especially people from our time in the KGL know how far we used to take it seeing how far we could push people but it was all done in jest and wasn't intended to hurt anybody it was just great seeing people explode at tiny things you say when your sat there laughing and joking and we apoligise to any people we caused offence to especially from certain members and certain videos that were post lol but nowdays it has turned into an all out flamefest most of which isnt said in jest its said to people that are unknown to each other to diliberatly cause offence be this mind games or any other reason when you get 2 people or 2 teams unwilling to back down it turns out into a slugfest seeing who can get the last word in and get the upper hand and it becomes so much more about that than playing the game... especially when your 4 other team members are sat in spawn well into the round just typing abuse haha.

Incase your wondering about the keeeeeen post i cant sleep not even tired and im bored out my tree so thought id write a reply and couldnt stop haha

Peace x

over 12 years ago

Maybe I am just getting older :P

Some interesting replies on this thread, and some good ideas are being sparked :D

IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

UNGL LAN PARTY PLS

nSmed
UNGL Administrator
over 12 years ago

DazzyJ
you dont miss jake trust me. I played lol with him the other he raged like a b*tch. I can always get him to play a mix if u want :P

mr.viruS
one of those
over 12 years ago

Dames
thats... **** loads for your first post dude :P but everything pritty much on the target lmao.

I am going to explain why css UK eSports is dying . ( MY point of view )

+ Cheaters .

+ Too much banter.

+ Not enough sportsmanship (After getting beat it either , these are cheating or FUIU FUUFUFUFUFUFU!! ********************** etc)

+ 1.6 ( if 1.6 people didnt make **** reasons for not moving then counter strike as a whole would be better.)
+ Chavs.

+ Racism

+ Random trolls

+ Lack of decent anti-cheat ( in uk scene for a while ) I mean libra is ok atleast its there but there are soooooo many bugs with it , and yes something about donations and helping out pay for ac will be said. BUT i can only think of EDAC, LIBRA , XAC . 3 ac programs in 7-8 years of css being out ? ( UK BASED )

+ No local lans. ( to my credit , I tried having css lan in my school to raise money for charity and to see how many people would come out of like 4,000 people in school only 20 knew what css was. ) But this was in 2006.

+ Less people play this game for many reasons like : WOW , hon , LOL , COD , etc. BUT the funny thing is they all come back to CSS!

+ People are older and consider hanging out with people who they barely know and never seen *geeky* or *uncool*. ( In my 11 years of playing I have met many people from different countries and origins and differnt walks of life that I can honestly say I would of never probably met these people if it wasnt for cs/css

There are more points I could think of but just got a steam msg asking for a mix :P lmao

over 12 years ago

Agree with a lot of what you said gump, great read mate :).

Also, congratz on a successful EDCSSL, I'm glad it all went smoothly :)

IV
Slugger
over 12 years ago

lol'd @ chavs

over 12 years ago

Thanks for some of the good comments :)

over 12 years ago

Only skim read it but agreed with what i read.

mr.viruS
"+ No local lans. ( to my credit , I tried having css lan in my school to raise money for charity and to see how many people would come out of like 4,000 people in school only 20 knew what css was. ) But this was in 2006. "

Like epic lan where like 8 teams have supported it because the uk css scene is ****. They all cry out for lan event then when they come along nothing?

over 12 years ago

nothing wrong with random trolls

mr.viruS
one of those
over 12 years ago

Immi

Dunno how long epik been going for only heard about it like epic 7 or 8... cant remember.

But then again havent really played css for about 3 years :P

Too much wows :)

EsioooOOOOO
Carrier bag!
over 12 years ago

mr.viruS
epic.ONE was march 09, epic.FIVE was the first epic with cs:s on it and that was feb '10