Universal Gaming League

over 11 years ago

As you probably guessed by the title I'm gonna list a bunch of things that will hopefully help out new players, feel free to comment more tips for me to add.

~ The first thing you'll probably think when you get into the game is 'where the f*** is the pistol i saw ___ on youtube starting with', the answer is that you no longer start with a gun, which personally I think is a good thing.

~ Guns are usually found in barns and military areas, they can be found in residential houses but not as often and will likely be worse.

~ http://dayzdb.com/map#3.064.131 - I'd highly recommend new players to check out the map before playing, some people think of using a non-ingame map as cheating but each to their own. You can click on the icons to see the chance of finding each type of loot

~ At night time it's VERY dark (think, can't see your own hand infront of your face kinda dark), by upping the brightness and gamma slightly it becomes much more bearable (again some people think of this as cheating)

~ Zombies can't hit while they are moving and run at the same speed as you, meaning if you keep running you're safe

~ To escape chasing zombies try running up a steep hill, you will walk for a couple of seconds (the zombies wont hit you because they have to stop to swipe) but then you can run fine, they will continue to walk and be left in your dust

~ You can also escape zombies by weaving between larg'ish bushes, this works best if you run through a bush and crouch straight after so they can't hear you.

~ Zombies move very slowly in buildings, if you have a weapon and are being chased simply run inside one and get ready for some easy kills

~ If someone sees you be prepared to be shot at, many people follow a kos (kill on sight) policy, if you're going to try to communicate I'd recommend using the mic, stopping to type is very dangerous

~ Many people suffer with 'artifacts' (weird shapes/colours blocking the screen) appearing when looking at military areas, a potential fix that works for me is to hold LEFT SHIFT and press KEYPAD MINUS then type FLUSH (nothing appears on the screen until you have typed flush, after doing this the screen goes black for a second then back to normal).

~ Some items like your flashlight need to be removed from your toolbelt to be used. Presuming you're using default controls open the gear menu with 'g', right click on the item on the right hand side of the screen and click 'remove from toolbelt'. It can be added back to your toolbelt by reversing the process. To use the flashlight once it's equiped press 'L' as default.

~ Be very careful when dropping things, try to only drop things you want back on flat surfaces as they have a habit of disppearing into inclines.

~ Your blood level (shown in the top right box) is essentially your health, max blood is 12000 and can be lost by being hit (by a zombie or being shot), bleeding (after being hit by a zombie or shot) and from extreme hunger/thirst (if the food or drink symbol is flashing red). You can bandage yourself to stop bleeding by right clicking on a bandage in your gear menu and selecting 'bandage self' - you can also bandage other people.

~ Blood can be regained either by eating or from having a blood transfusion using a blood pack, this must be done by another player (obviously you can't give yourself a blood transfusion). Eating canned foods increases your blood by 200, cooked meat recovers 800 and a transfusion restores you to full blood.

~ By far the best way to get food is by killing animals and cooking the meat. You'll need a means to kill the animal (a weapon), a hunting knife to gut it, a hatchet (axe) to get a pile of wood and a box of matches to light the fire. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45QKf0KHK-0 - this video shows the whole process. http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Raw_Meat - this page shows how much raw meat you get from each animal.

~ Hospitals are found in the larger cities and contain everything you'll need medical wise such as blood packs, bandages and morphine. They have glass windows all along the front side and glass doors in the middle, to get into a hospital you need to smash a window (be sure that it's a window, the doors are bullet proof as far as I know). There is a glitch that sometimes you shoot a window, it makes a smashing sound but doesn't actually break, your best bet is to whack it with an axe to avoid wasting ammo and attracting unwanted attention.

~ http://www.dayzwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page - this is a great resource

~ Not all buildings can be entered, those that can are recognisable by windows that you can see through (rather than being solid colour/reflection), to open a door look at it, scroll down on the mousewheel and select 'open door' on the left hand side of the screen.

~ You should use your gun as a last resort against zombies, shooting with anything more than a pea shooter (the makarov) will attract zombies from your area not to mention bandits (other players who will kill you on sight). The best option is usually to escape using the techniques mentioned above.

Au  r0b1
CS Head Admin
over 11 years ago

Pred2kind

over 11 years ago

Rob2kind

over 11 years ago

very good read , well played Gb  PreDator

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 11 years ago

~ Many people suffer with 'artifacts' (weird shapes/colours blocking the screen) appearing when looking at military areas, a potential fix that works for me is to hold LEFT SHIFT and press KEYPAD MINUS then type FLUSH (nothing appears on the screen until you have typed flush, after doing this the screen goes black for a second then back to normal).

- Get that from DEadly in the other thread? ;]

Good basic survival tips for when you just start :), bandits will tear you apart though (Semi competent ones anyway).

Always have a plan, no matter where you wish to raid, or who to kill, or what to steal, always have a backup plan. That and don't panic, surviving and looting is a lot simpler once you control both direction and pace.

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 11 years ago

UNGL Forums can't handle my insane reflexes.

over 11 years ago

Gb  IV yeah personally I first heard of it from him although others suggested it on the dayzmod forum, it works a treat for me

And I definately agree :P

over 11 years ago

http://dayzdb.com/map#3.070.077

Much better map - Shows all buildings such as barns and military. Also shows vehicle spawns and deer stands. If you click on one of the icons is shows you what will spawn there and the percentage chance the item will spawn.

Another way to get rid of zombies is by running into the middle of a bush or a pine tree. The zombies will simply loose you and walk away and this is a feature in dayZ

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 11 years ago

Gb  PreDator You play with others or? Me and Deadly are looking to pick up some clued up people and just constantly gear up at the Helicopter crash sites and smash carebears. The more the merrier ;d

over 11 years ago

01  JK. good find, added to the thread

Gb  IV a few of my mates have it but don't play that often, add me on steam 'satanscookie' and we can do some looting ^_^

Au  r0b1
CS Head Admin
over 11 years ago

Gb  IV when you back from holiday? Having DayZ withdrawal symptoms

Gb  IV
Slugger
over 11 years ago

Au  r0b1 Back on the 13th, killing time in Denmark at the moment. I saw a piece of graffiti saying "DAYZ" on a North German autobahn, made me chuckle.

over 3 years ago

great site glad i found this thanks :D

www.hairextensionsphiladelphiapa.com

10 months ago

I have read your house of hazards post. It was really helpful to me.

9 months ago

Believe me, you are amazing because you use only a few words to inspire others and that is an incredible talent. <a href="https://davethediver.io">Dave The Diver</a>

9 months ago

Believe me, you are amazing because you use only a few words to inspire others and that is an incredible talent. Dave The Diver

8 months ago

This is really amazing place for us to find the helpful tips. When I used the painting services I found amazing services that help me to make the unique look of my interior.

8 months ago

Maps are always important whether you are playing a car game or actually driving on the highway. To avail the services of the Cheapest oil change service in the area you can visit the best mechanics that brings the best guide for us with their amazing services.

7 months ago

DayZ is a sandbox survival game, and part of the thrill comes from the unpredictable interactions retro bowl with other players and the environment. Enjoy the adventure, and good luck surviving in the harsh post-apocalyptic world!